Based in Houston, TX and reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will serve as a key member of the executive leadership team and will have responsibility and oversight for our de novo bank’s financial activities. Managing a team of Officers and employees, the CFO will be responsible for all aspects of finance, accounting, vendor management, reporting, analysis, planning, treasury and tax.
The CFO will ensure that the organization has superior accounting and financial practices, including controls and disclosures, as well as appropriate risk measures to ensure the safety and soundness of the Bank. S/he will be expected to provide strong and assertive leadership of the finance organization, shaping a strategic direction for the group and building an outstanding team. The CFO will work to assure long run financial stability and to optimize profitability.
In addition to providing financial direction and governance, the CFO will build and leverage business relationships with the appropriate levels of management, communicating important issues, opportunities and problems that may impact the Corporation and providing leadership to the Corporation broadly. Executives are expected to have a strong work ethic, a “hands-on” management style, attention to detail (“know your stuff”) and to model the Bank’s core values. In addition to the CEO, the CFO will work closely with all of the members of the Executive Management Committee. The CFO role will have extensive interactions with the Board of Directors.
- Ensure strong financial infrastructure in terms of financial controls, systems, processes, and human capital.
- Organize and execute the company’s annual financial planning process, and develop and maintain processes for monitoring key profitability and operational performance standards via appropriate benchmarks and performance metrics.
- Ensure that the finance function adds value to each line of business, helping to forecast and plan effectively and anticipating challenges, which may impact profitability.
- Develop and drive necessary accounting policies, procedures and strong internal control.
- Provide oversight for the reporting of internal and external financial results and analyses.
- Proactively develop and maintain relationships internally and externally. Work closely and effectively with the senior management team and Board of Directors to drive shareholder value.
- Effectively liaise with industry, governmental and regulatory organizations as well as with rating agencies, analysts and banks. Ensure financial and risk measures are consistent with regulatory guidance and expectations.
- Lead, manage, and mentor the finance team. Evaluate current talent within the finance organization and work to enhance/build capabilities.
Specific qualifications include:
- 20+ years experience within a multi-faceted and sophisticated financial services organization. Particular preference for direct experience with retail and commercial banking. The more exposure to other fee generating services, the better. Previous de novo experience a plus but not a requirement.
- Strong technical and accounting skills with thorough knowledge of financial accounting practices, procedures, and controls. Experience with CECL, hedge accounting and purchase accounting.
- Highly proficient in financial analysis tools (Bloomberg, Excel, etc)
- Experience with or knowledge of Interest Rate Risk (IRR) management and Capital Planning / Stress Analysis.
- Experience or knowledge of bank investment portfolio management and hedging activities
- High-energy business partner with the ability to work and navigate across organizational boundaries and develop relationships at all levels of the organization including internal and external constituencies (i.e. rating agencies, regulators, outside auditors, investors, etc.).
- Strong financial modeling skills with the ability to create interactive worksheets to run various “what if” scenarios.
- Knowledge of and hands on experience with bank regulations and public company reporting requirements
- A successful executive who is able to instill excellent business practices and focus on continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to think “outside of the box” to find solutions that drive efficient operations.
- Proven leader and manager with outstanding operational and people management skills. Ability to attract, select and motivate talented and diverse staff.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills — ability to listen, understand complex issues and clearly articulate both “big picture” and critical details. Advanced presentation/interactive skills essential.
- Ability to anticipate and then adjust to changes on short notice.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Cultural fit with the team and Bank is critical. Must have a strong track record as a servant leader — responsive, polite, genuine, transparent, instinctively friendly, service oriented and a team player — yet able to hold the line and protect the bank
- An undergraduate degree is required. A CPA is preferred but not required. A post graduate degree in finance/accounting/economics will be advantageous.